Thursday, January 30, 2014

How to Talk & Listen Effectively to Kids

Greetings! This will be my first entry for 2014.  Come to think of it, I haven't been able to write as much nowadays.  Well, it's a new year and I have too many books here left unread, all in line begging me to make time :))  Hence, I thought of quick reading them so I can finally pull them off from staring right at me!  Now I'm inspired to share something that has enlightened me in my perspective on how to deal with kids and generally others as well.




This book was lent to me by my co-teacher in Sunday School, Shanda.  You might be wondering why on Earth am I reading this kind of book.  Well, first and foremost, I am fond of kids; preschoolers in general. Aside from them being playful, adorable, and all innocent, I am always fascinated on how they think and learn, how they communicate, how honest and pure their language could be, etc etc. :)

This book is pretty useful as it is packed with lots of application on the how-to's and what-not's.  It mainly teaches us how to talk effectively, and how to listen effectively.  As simple as it may sound, I think that it takes skills and experience to be able to master the effectiveness of it.  Funny because I started to realize the amount of stress parents get dealing with their kids based on the real-life sample scenarios here! Yep, the book is packed with lots of real-life situations from various parents and teachers where readers can learn from.

Below is the summary that I gathered from each chapter's conclusion:



I.  Helping Children Deal with their Feelings:
  • Listen quietly and attentively
  • Acknowledge feelings with a word  ("Oh.. Mmm.. I see..")
  • Can give feeling a name  ("That sounds frustrating!")
  • Can give the child his wishes in fantasy  ("I wish I can make the banana ripe for you right now!")


II. To Engage a Child's Cooperation:
  • Describe what you see, or describe the problem  ("There's a wet towel on the bed.")
  • Give information  ("The towel is getting my blanket wet.")
  • Say it with a word  ("The towel!")
  • Describe what you feel  ("I don't like sleeping on a wet bed.")
  • Write a note  (Above towel rack --> "Pls put me back so I can dry. Thanks, Your Towel")


III. Alternatives to Punishment:
  • Express your feelings strongly without attacking character  ("I'm furious that my new saw was left outside to rust in the rain!")
  • State your expectations  ("I expect my tools to be returned after use okay?")
  • Show the child how to make ammends  ("What this saw needs now is a little steel wool and a lot of elbow grease.")
  • Offer a choice  ("You can borrow my tools and return them or you can give up the privilege of using them. You decide.")
  • Take Action  (Child: "Why is the toolbox locked?" //  Dad: "You tell me why.")
  • Problem-Solve  ("Son, what can we work out so that you can use my tools when you need them, and so that I'll be sure they're there when I need them?")


IV. Praise and Self-Esteem. Instead of evaluating with "Good", "Great", etc:
  • Describe what you see  ("I see a clean floor, a smooth bed, and books neatly lined up on the shelf!")
  • Describe what you feel  ("It's a pleasure to walk into this room.")
  • Sum up the child's praiseworthy behavior with a word  ("You sorted out your toys in a separate box.  That's what I call organized!")


V. To Free Children from Playing Roles:
  • Look for opportunities to show the child a new picture of himself/herself  ("You've had that toy since you were 3 and it almost looks like new!")
  • Put children in situations where they can see themselves differently  ("Sara, would you take the screwdriver and tighten the pulls on these drawers?")
  • Let children overhear you say something positive about them  ("He held his arm steady even though the shot hurt.")
  • Model the behavior you'd like to see  ("It's hard to lose, but I'll try to be a sport about it. Congrats!")
  • When your child acts according to the old label, state your feelings and/or your expectations  ("I don't like that.  Despite your strong feelings, I expect sportsmanship form you.")


All these look so concise.  Reading through the book would guide you further with explanations on the principle behind each item.  I'm not a parent yet hence I wouldn't know if all these are soundful haha. So, what do you guys think? :P




No comments:

Post a Comment